ตึกมหาจุฬาลงกรณ์ (ตึกอักษรศาสตร์)

ตึกมหาจุฬาลงกรณ์ (ตึกอักษรศาสตร์)

ที่ตั้ง จุฬาลงกรณ์มหาวิทยาลัย ถนนพญาไท เขตปทุมวัน กรุงเทพฯ

สถาปนิก/ผู้ออกแบบ นายเอ็ดวาร์ด ฮีลี (Edward Healey)

ผู้ครอบครอง จุฬาลงกรณ์มหาวิทยาลัย

ปีที่สร้าง พ.ศ. 2457

ปีที่ได้รับรางวัล พ.ศ. 2530

ประวัติ

ตึกมหาจุฬาลงกรณ์ หรือตึกอักษรศาสตร์นั้น เป็นอาคารเก่าแก่ที่สร้างขึ้นตั้งแต่ก่อนสถาปนาจุฬาลงกรณ์มหาวิทยาลัย คือเป็นตึกบัญชาการของโรงเรียนข้าราชการพลเรือน ซึ่งก่อตั้งขึ้นในสมัยรัชกาลที่ 5 รูปแบบของตึกบัญชาการดังกล่าว สภากรรมการจัดการโรงเรียนมีความประสงค์จะให้สร้างเป็นแบบไทย จึงมอบหมายนายคาร์ล ดือห์ริง (Karl Dohring) และนายเอ็ดวาร์ด ฮีลี (Edward Healey) ให้ไปศึกษาสถาปัตยกรรมไทยโบราณที่สุโขทัยและสวรรคโลก เพื่อออกแบบอาคารแบบอาคาร เมื่อออกแบบเสร็จแล้วปรากฏว่าแบบของนายฮีลีได้รับการรับเลือก การก่อสร้างเริ่มในเดือนมกราคม พ.ศ. 2457 แล้วเสร็จเมื่อพ.ศ.2458 ต่อมาเมื่อวันที่ 26 มีนาคม 2459 พระบาทสมเด็จพระมงกุฎเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัวทรงโปรดฯสถาปนาโรงเรียนข้าราชการพลเรือนขึ้นเป็นจุฬาลงกรณ์มหาวิทยาลัย ซึ่งเป็นมหาวิทยาลัยแห่งแรกในประเทศไทย อาคารนี้ก็ได้ใช้เป็นอาคารศูนย์รมการบริหารของมหาวิทยาลัย อีกทั้งเคยเป็นอาคารเรียนของคณะต่างๆ หลังสุดคือคณะอักษรศาสตร์ จนกระทั่งในปีพ.ศ. 2539 ได้มีการบูรณะครั้งใหญ่โดยกรมศิลปากร จากนั้นอาคารนี้จึงมิได้ใช้ในการเรียนการสอนอีก แต่ยังคงใช้ในงานพิธีการต่างๆ ของมหาวิทยาลัย รูปแบบสถาปัตยกรรมของอาคารเป็นแบบไทยประยุกต์กับสถาปัตยกรรมตะวันตก โครงสร้างอาคารเป็นคอนกรีตเสริมเหล็ก หลังคาลดชั้นมีมุขยื่น 3 มุข ภาพรวมของอาคารมีความหนักแน่นและสง่างาม ขณะเดียวกันก็โปร่งสบายและร่มเย็นด้วยการใช้ระบียงรอบอาคารแบบสถาปัตยกรรมเมืองร้อน อย่างไรก็ดีจะสังเกตได้ว่าลักษณะขององค์ประกอบหลายๆส่วนเป็นแบบเขมร อาทิ ราวบันไดนาค หน้าบัน และระเบียงคด จึงอาจกล่าวได้ว่าสถาปนิกได้นำศิลปสถาปัตยกรรมเขมรเข้ามาประยุกต์ในการออกแบบด้วย

 

Maha Chulalongkorn Building (Faculty of Arts Building)

Location Chulalongkorn Unicersity, Phayathai Road, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok

Architect/Designer Mr. Edward Healey

Proprietor Chulalongkorn University

Date of Construction 1914 AD.

Conservation Awarded 1987 AD.

History

Maha Chulalongkorn Building or Faculty of Arts Building is a historic building prior to the establishment of the university because it was initially built as a Command Building for the Civil Servants School, which was founded in King Rama V’s reign. The school committee agreed that the building style should be Thai therefore; Mr. Karl Fohring and Mr. Edward Healey were assigned to study Thai architecture at Sukhothai and Sawankhalok before carrying out the design work. The result was that Mr. Healey’s design was more economical thus it was chosen. The construction began in January, 1913 and completed in 1915. On 26th March, 1916 King Rama VI had the Civil Servants School established as Chulalongkorn University, the first university in Thailand. The building was used as the university administrative building, and housed a few faculties consecutively until the lasts one the Faculty of Arts. After a major restoration by the Fine Arts Department in 1996, the building has not been used for academic function but only for ceremonial activities. The architecture of the building is applied Thai style with some Western influences. The structure is reinforced concrete, 3-tiered roof with 3 porches. The overall appearance of the building is strong and dignified yet it feels open and cool with the application of colonnades on the ground floor and verandahs on the first floor. It is noticeable that the design was also influenced by Khmer architecture as seen in the Naga flanked staircases, pediments, and galleries.