บ้านแฮรีส โรงเรียนปรินส์รอยแยลส์วิทยาลัย

บ้านแฮรีส โรงเรียนปรินส์รอยแยลส์วิทยาลัย

ที่ตั้ง โรงเรียนปรินส์รอยแยลส์วิทยาลัย ถนนแก้วนวรัฐ ตำบลวัดเกต อำเภอเมือง จังหวัดเชียงใหม่

สถาปนิก/ผู้ออกแบบ -

ผู้ครอบครอง โรงเรียนปรินส์รอยแยลส์วิทยาลัย

ปีที่สร้าง ประมาณ พ.ศ. 2447

ปีที่ได้รับรางวัล พ.ศ. 2539

ประวัติ

โรงเรียนปรินส์รอยแยลส์วิทยาลัย มีกำเนิดมาจากโรงเรียนชายวังสิงห์คำ ซึ่งเป็นโรงเรียนชายแห่งแรกในนครเชียงใหม่ ก่อตั้งโดย ดร.เดวิด กอร์ม เลย์ คอลลินส์ มิชชันนารีคณะอเมริกันเพรสไบทีเรียน ในพ.ศ. 2430 หลังจากนั้นดร.วิลเลียม แฮรีส ได้รับตำแหน่งครูใหญ่ต่อจากดร.คอลลินส์ ในปี 2442

พ่อครู ดร.วิลเลียมและแม่ครูคอร์นีเลีย แฮรีส ภรรยาของท่าน เห็นว่าโรงเรียนเดิมคับแคบจึงได้เรี่ยไรเงินเพื่อซื้อที่ดินและก่อสร้างโรงเรียนใหม่ขึ้น รวมทั้งก่อสร้างบ้านแฮรีส ในปีพ.ศ. 2447 บ้านแฮรีสเป็นสถาปัตยกรรมแบบเฟรนช์ โคโลเนียล ทางโรงเรียนกล่าวว่าได้แบบอย่างมาจากแคลิฟอร์เนีย ตัวอาคาร 2 ชั้น โครงสร้างไม้ หลังคาปั้นหยามีมุขประดับ (Dormer) มีระเบียงรอบทั้งชั้นบนและชั้นล่าง การใช้สอยเดิมนั้น ชั้นล่างเป็นห้องอำนวยการและห้องพักครู ชั้นบนเป็นที่พักอาศัย

บ้านหลังนี้ได้ใช้เป็นสถานที่รับเสด็จสมเด็จเจ้าฟ้าหาวชิราวุธ พระบรมโอรสาธิราช สยามมุฎราชกุมาร ในคราวเสด็จประพาสมณฑลพายัพและวางศิลาฤกษ์ อาคารบัทเลอร์ ตึกเรียนหลังแรกเมื่อวันที่ 2 มกราคม พ.ศ.2448 กาลนั้นได้ทรงพระราชทานนามแก่โรงเรียนว่า “โรงเรียนปรินส์รอยอยลส์วิทยาลัย”

เมื่อพ.ศ. 2532 ได้เกิดเพลิงไหม้ทำให้บ้านแฮริสเสียหาย ทางโรงเรียนจึงได้ปฏิสังขรณ์ขึ้นใหม่ตามแบบเดิมในช่วงปี 2535-2536 ปัจจุบันบ้านนี้ใช้เป็นพิพิธภัณฑ์ปรินส์รอยแยส์วิทยาลัย 

 

Harris House, Prince Royals College 

 Location Prince Royal’s college, Kaew Nawarat Road, Tambon Wat Ket, Amphoe Mueang, Chiang Mai Province

Architect/Designer -

Proprietor Prince Royal’s College

Date of Construction 1904 AD

Conservation Awarded 1996 AD

History

 The Prince Royal’s College was originally founded in 1887 as Wang Sing Kham Men’s School, the first men’s school on Chiang Mai. The founder and first principal was Dr. David Gorm Lay Collins, missionary of the American Presbyterian. Dr. William Harris succeeded him as a principal in 1899.

Dr.William and his wife, Mrs. Cornelia Harris then considered an expansion of the school thus they collected contributions to buy a land and the first building, Harris House, was built in 1904. The Harris House is French Colonial style, which the school related that the design was brought from California. It is 2-storey, hipped roof with dormers, surrounded by verandahs on the first floor and colonnades on the ground floor. The functions comprised a techers’ room and administration office on the ground floor, and residence of Dr. Harris on the first floor. 

The house had received the Crown Prince Vajiravudh on his visit to the school on the Laying of Foundation Stone Ceremony for the first school house “Butler Building”, on 2nd January, 1905. He also named the school “Prince Royal’s College” as it has been called ever since.

Harris House was damaged by fire in 1989; however, the school had it reconstructed during 1992-1993. The house is now used as Prince Royal’s College Museum.