โบสถ์น้อยโรงเรียนเซนต์โยเซฟคอนเวนต์

โบสถ์น้อยโรงเรียนเซนต์โยเซฟคอนเวนต์

ที่ตั้ง เลขที่ 7 ซอยคอนแวนต์ ถนนสีลม แขวงสีลม เขตบางรัก กรุงเทพมหานคร

สถาปนิก / ผู้ออกแบบ อัลเฟรโด รีกาซซี

ผู้ครอบครอง โรงเรียนเซนต์โยเซฟคอนเวนต์

ปีที่สร้าง พ.ศ.2463

ปีที่ได้รับรางวัล พ.ศ. 2550

ประวัติ

โรงเรียนเซนต์โยเซฟคอนเวนต์เป็นโรงเรียนหนึ่งในเครือของคณะภคินี เซนต์ปอลเดอชาร์ตร (Soeurs de Saint Paul de Chartres) กลุ่มคณะนักบวชสตรีในคริสตศาสนาที่เดินทางมาจากฝรั่งเศสเมื่อปี พ.ศ. 2441 เข้ามาเผยแพร่ธรรมและ ช่วยส่งเสริมงานพัฒนาสังคมไทยด้านการศึกษา การรักษาพยาบาลและการช่วยเหลือบรรเทาทุกข์ผู้ยากไร้ หลังจากนั้นในวันที่ 5 ธันวาคม พ.ศ. 2450 คณะภคินี โดยคุณแม่อธิการิณีแซงต์ ซาเวียร์ (Mere Saint-Xavier) ได้ก่อตั้งโรงเรียนเซนต์โยเซฟคอนเวนต์ขึ้นบนเนื้อที่ 16 ไร่ 1งาน ซึ่งเป็นที่ดินของคณะมิสซังกรุงเทพณ บริเวณถนนคอนแวนต์ อาคารโรงเรียนเซนต์โยเซฟคอนเวนต์ใน ยุคแรกเป็นอาคาร 2 ชั้นก่ออิฐถือปูน หลังคาปั้นหยามุงกระเบื้องว่าว กล่าวว่าเดิมใต้ถุนตึกใช้เป็นที่เก็บน้ำ และฐานรากอาคารทำด้วยขอนไม้ขนาดใหญ่ ในบริเวณปลูกต้นไม้ร่มรื่น มีคูระบายน้ำรอบโรงเรียน และมีการแบ่งที่ดินส่วนหนึ่งเป็นที่เลี้ยงหมูและไก่งวงต่อมาทางคณะภคินีได้ให้สร้างโบสถ์น้อยในปี พ.ศ. 2463 เพื่อประกอบพิธีกรรมทางศาสนา อาทิ การรับศีลกำลัง การรับศีลมหาสนิท โดยผู้ออกแบบคือ นายอัลเฟรโด รีกาซซี (Alfredo Rigazzi) สถาปนิกอิตาเลียน

โบสถ์น้อยเป็นอาคารโครงสร้างคอนกรีตเสริมเหล็ก สูง 3 ชั้น มีผังรูปสี่เหลี่ยมผืนผ้ายาว รูปแบบสถาปัตยกรรมคลาสสิครีไววัล (Classic Revival) องค์ประกอบและระเบียบทางสถาปัตยกรรมเน้นความสงบและสง่างาม ใจกลางอาคารเป็น ห้องประกอบพิธีขนาบด้วยทางเดิน 2 ชั้น บริเวณแท่นบูชาเป็นซุ้มโค้งรูปแบบปัลลาเดียน (Palladian motif) รอบอาคารเป็นหน้าต่างบานเกล็ดไม้ ทำให้อาคารมีความโปร่ง ระบายอากาศได้ดี เหมาะกับภูมิอากาศของประเทศไทย

แต่ราว 30 ปีมาแล้ว โบสถ์น้อยถูกเพลิงไหม้ไปบางส่วน โดยภาพเขียนเก่าภายในได้เสียหายไปในครั้งนั้นด้วย ทำให้ต้องมีการซ่อมแซมใหม่ เช่น ในส่วนของฝ้าเพดาน แต่การบูรณะก็ได้พยายามรักษารูปแบบดั้งเดิมไว้ แม้ว่าทางโรงเรียนได้มีอาคารต่างๆสร้างขึ้นเพื่อขยายการเรียนการสอน อาทิ อาคาร 72 ปี หอประชุมทรินิตี้ ทำให้โฉมหน้าของโรงเรียนในปัจจุบันมีความเปลี่ยนแปลงไปจากเดิมมาก อย่างไรก็ดี โบสถ์น้อยซึ่งได้รับการอนุรักษ์เป็นอย่างดี มีการใช้สอยอยู่จนปัจจุบันยังคงดำรงอยู่เป็นหลักฐานทางประวัติศาสตร์ของโรงเรียน

Chapel, Saint Joseph Convent School

Location 7, Soi Convent, Silom Road, Khwaeng Silom, Khet Bang Rak, Bangkok

Architect / Designer Alfredo Rigazzi

Proprietor Saint Joseph Convent School

Date of Construction 1920

Conservation Awarded 2007

History

Saint Joseph Convent School is a school under the management of Les Soeurs de Saint Paul de Chartres, a group of women Christian priests who came from France in 1898 in order to promulgate Christianity and help develop the Thai society in education, nursing, and care for the poor. Nowadays the Sisters have various branches of works including schools, hospitals, clinics, refugee camps on the border, and public welfare activities in all parts of the country.

On 5th December, 1907, the Sisters, led by Mere Saint Xavier, founded Saint Joseph Convent School on a 25,600 square metres piece of land which belonged to the Bangkok Mission on Convent Road, Silom. The school was designed by Mr. Alfredo Rigazzi, an Italian architect. The first school building was 2-storey, built of brick masonry, said to have a basement used for keeping water and a foundation made of large logs. The school grounds were lush and green with trees, surrounded by ditches and some parts of the land was allocated for raising pigs and turkeys.

In 1969, the 72 year-old Building was constructed and in 1987, the Trinity Conference Hall was built, making the school ‘s appearance much different from the founding period.

Nevertheless, among the new buildings, there exists the school Chapel, a historic building that still functions as a venue for religious activities.

The Chapel is 3-storey ferro concrete building with a rectangular plan with Classic Revival architecture, the work of Mr. Rigazzi. Architectural elements and orders emphasize serenity and dignity. The Chapel features a nave flanked by 2-storey galleries and a Palladian Motif apse. The walls are fitted with wooden louvre windows for good ventilation, suitable for the climate in Thailand.

Approximately 30 years ago, some parts of the chapel were damagedby fire i.e. the ceilings, which have now been repaired. However, restoration attempts have been made to preserve the original features of the building, making the chapel exists in a well-maintained condition and still serves its function up to the present.