วิหารลายคำ วัดพระสิงห์วรมหาวิหาร

วิหารลายคำ วัดพระสิงห์วรมหาวิหาร

ที่ตั้ง วัดพระสิงห์วรมหาวิหาร ตำบลพระสิงห์ เขต 1 อำเภอเมือง จังหวัดเชียงใหม่

สถาปนิก/ผู้ออกแบบ -

ผู้ครอบครอง วัดพระสิงห์วรมหาวิหาร

ปีที่สร้าง ราวพุทธศตวรรษที่ 24

ปีที่ได้รับรางวัล พ.ศ. 2544

ประวัติ

วัดพระสิงห์วรมหาวิหารเป็นพระอารามหลวงชั้นเอก ชนิดวรมหาวิหาร เป็นอารามที่สถาปนาขึ้นโดยพระเจ้าผายู เมื่อประมาณพ.ศ. 1888 เดิมชื่อวัดลีเชียง ต่อมาในสมัย พ.ศ. 1943 เจ้ามหาพรหมได้อัญเชิญพระพุทธสิหิงค์มาจากกำแพงเพชร และมาประดิษฐานที่วัดนี้ จึงได้นามว่าวัดพระสิงห์แต่นั้นมา

วิหารลายคำวัดพระสิงห์เป็นสถาปัตยกรรมล้านนาที่สร้างขึ้นราวพุทธศตวรรษที่ 24 ตั้งอยู่ทางทิศใต้ของเจดีย์ หันหน้าทางทิศตะวันออก ปัจจุบันด้านหน้าอาคารหลังคาซ้อน 3 ชั้น ด้านหลังซ้อน 2 ชั้น แต่มีหลักฐานว่าเดิมมีมุขด้านหน้าคลุมช่วงบันไดด้วย แต่ได้รื้อออกไป ด้านหลังวิหารนี้มีส่วนฐานเชื่อมต่อกับปราสาทโขงพระเจ้า ลักษณะเป็นกู่ก่ออิฐถือปูนหลังคาทรงปราสาทเป็นที่ประดิษฐานพระพุทธรูป

รูปแบบสถาปัตยกรรมและเทคนิคการก่อสร้างวิหารลายคำเป็นแบบล้านนา ตัวอาคารมีขนาดเล็กแต่สง่างามด้วยสัดส่วนและฝีมือช่างที่งดงาม องค์ประกอบภายนอกตกแต่งด้วยไม้แกะสลักปิดทอง ภายในวิหารลายคำประดิษฐานพระพุทธสิหิงค์ การตกแต่งภายในวิหารนั้นหากพิจารณาแล้วจะเห็นได้ว่าลวดลายตกแต่งปิดทองล่องชาดต่างๆ เป็นลวดลายแบบกรุงเทพฯขึ้นไปทำมากกว่าจะเป็นช่างพื้นเมืองทำเอง ทั้งนี้อาจเกี่ยวเนื่องกับความสัมพันธ์ของราชสำนักเชียงใหม่และกรุงเทพฯ ตั้งแต่ต้นกรุงรัตนโกสินทร์ ส่วนจิตรกรรมฝาผนังที่เป็นภาพเขียนสีเรื่องสังข์ทองและสุวรรณหงส์ก็เป็นละครนอกที่นิยมทางกรุงเทพฯเช่นกัน แต่มีฝีมือช่างปรากฏทั้งแบบกรุงเทพฯและแบบพื้นเมือง ทำให้วิหารแห่งนี้มีความพิเศษที่น่าสนใจศึกษาต่อไป

วัดนี้ได้มีการบูณะที่สำคัญในสมัยพระเจ้ากาวิละ เชื้อวงศ์เจ้าเจ็ดตน เมื่อพ.ศ. 2339 ต่อมาในสมัยเจ้าแก้วนวรัฐ ผู้ครองนครเชียงใหม่อันดับที่ 9 ราวพ.ศ. 2467 ร่วมกับพระขนิษฐภคินีคือพระราชชายาเจ้าดารารัศมี ในพระบาทสมเด็จพระจุลจอมเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว ครั้งหลังนี้อาจเป็นครั้งที่ได้รื้อคลุมบันไดด้านหน้าของวิหารลายคำออกไปดังที่กล่าวแล้ว

Wihan Lai Kham, Wat Phra Sing Woramahawihan

Location Wat Phra Sing Woramahawihan, Tambon Phra Sing Khet 1, Amphoe Mueang, Chiang Mai Province

Architect/Designer Unknown

Proprietor Wat Phra Sing Woramahawihan

Date of Construction circa 19th century

Conservation Awarded 2001 AD

History

Wat Phra Sing Woramahawihan was founded in 1345 AD By Phra Chao Phayu. Its original name was “Wat Li Chiang”. Later in 1400, Chao Maha Phrom had brought the important Buddha’s image, “Phra Phutthasihing” to be enshrined here thus the temple has been called “Wat Phra Sing” since that time.

The most important architecture in the compound is Wihan Lai Kham built circa 19th century. It is located to the south of the pagoda, facing east. The hall is rectangular; the front part is with 3-tiered roof and 2-tiered roof at the rear. In former period, there was a porch extended to cover the staircase but this porch has been removed. The rear of the building is connected to square hall where a Buddha’s image is enshrined called “Prasat Khong Phrachao”

The architecture and construction techniques of Wihan Lai Khan are Lanna style. It is small in size but beautifully built and decorated with high craftsmanship. The hall enshrines Phra Phutthasihing. The interior is decorated with gilded red lacquer and mural paintings, which are notable by their resemblance to the art of Bankgkok School. This may give a clue on the relationship between Bangkok and Chiang Mai in early Rattanakosin period. Nervertheless, local style is also presented in the paintings, although depicting the stories from Bangkok’s favourite plays.

The important restoration of the temple was carried out in the period of Phrachao Kawila, descendant of Chao Chet Ton Family, in 1796, and later in 1924 by Princess Dararasmo and her brother, Chao Kaew Nawarat, the 9th Lord of Chiang Mai. This might be the time when the removal of the front porch was carried out as mentioned