วัดวังตะวันตก

วัดวังตะวันตก

ที่ตั้ง 1347/1 ถนนราชดำเนิน ตำบลท่าวัง อำเภอเมือง จังหวัดนครศรีธรรมราช

สถาปนิก/ผู้ออกแบบ -

ผู้ครอบครอง วัดวังตะวันตก

ปีที่สร้าง ช่วง พ.ศ. 2431

ปีที่ได้รับรางวัล พ.ศ. 2536

ประวัติ

วัดวังตะวันตกสร้างขึ้นโดยเจ้าพระยาพระนคร (น้อย) ในพื้นที่ตรงข้ามกับวังตะวันออกที่เคยเป็นที่อยู่ของเจ้าจอมปราง มารดาของท่าน พื้นที่นี้เคยเป็นป่าขี้แรด ใช้เป็นที่ค้างศพของคนในเมืองที่นำออกมาทางประตูผีทางทิศตะวันตก ต่อมาเมื่อเลิกใช้เป็นที่ค้างศพ เจ้าจอมปรางได้ดัดแปลงเป็น เรียกว่า “วังตะวันตก” เมื่อเจ้าจอมปรางสิ้นชีพิตักษัย เจ้าพระยานคร (น้อย) ได้จัดการฌาปนกิจศพท่านที่อุทยานแห่งนี้ และสถาปนาวัดขึ้นในพื้นที่วังตะวันออกและวังตะวันตกให้ชื่อว่า “วัดวังตะวันออก” และ “วัดวังตะวันตก” เมื่อประมาณปีพ.ศ. 2380

ในบริเวณวัดมีสถาปัตยกรรมที่น่าชมได้แก่หมู่กุฏิทรงไทย เป็นหมู่กุฏิแบบหมู่เรือนไทยใต้ถุนสูง ประกอบด้วยเรือน 3 หลัง โครงสร้างไม้เครื่องสับ ลักษณะเรือนเป็นเรือนฝาปะกน มีลวดลายแกะสลักไม้ตกแต่งตามส่วนต่างๆ กรอบประตูสลักรูปทวารบาล ผนังด้านบนฉลุลวดลาย เช่นลายบุคคลผสมลายพันธุ์พฤกษา กรอบหน้าต่างด้านล่างสลักลายเครือเถาและลายเรขาคณิต เรือนทุกหลังวางตามทิศตะวันออก-ตะวันตก เรือนกลางเป็นห้องโถงโล่ง เรือนอีก 2 หลัง ยกพื้นอยู่ขนาบทั้ง 2 ข้างของเรือนกลาง และมีหลังคาคลุมส่วนบกพื้นต่อเชื่อมกัน มีเรือนครัวอยู่ทางทิศตะวันตกซึ่งได้ย้ายมาประชิดหมู่กุฏิภายหลัง ปัจจุบันมีชานเชื่อมต่อกัรเป็นชานปูน

หมู่กุฏินี้ สร้างขึ้นเมื่อ พ.ศ. 2431 โดยพระครูกาชาด (ย่อง) อินทสุวัณโณ ใช้เวลาก่อสร้าง 13 ปี เดิมได้ใช้เป็นกุฏิหลังนี้ ได้ย้ายอาคารออกจากที่ตั้งเดิมไปทางทิศตะวันออกเฉียงเหนือ เพราะที่ตั้งเดิมแออัด ไม่สง่างาม กรมศิลปากรได้ดำเนินการบูรณะจนแล้วเสร็จในปี พ.ศ. 2534

Wat Wang Tawantok

Location 1347/1 Ratchadanoen Road, Tambon Tha Wang, Amphoe Mueang, Nakhon Si Thammarat Province

Architect/Designer Unknown

Proprietor Wat Wang Tawantok

Date of Construction circa 1888 AD

Conservation Awarded 1993 AD

History

Wat Wang Tawantok (West Palace Temple) was founded by Chao Phraya Nakhon (Noi) on a land opposite to Wang Tawan-ok (East Palace) where Chaochom Prang, his mother, once resided. The West Palace area was originally a forest where corpses were rested after they were carried out of town through the west Gate, or Ghost Gate, as it was generally called in those days. When such tradition declined, Chaochom Prang had the area converted into a park called “Wang Tawantok” (West Palace). After she passed away, Chao Phraya Nakhon (Noi) had built temples on the sites of Wang tawan-ok and Wang Tawantok in 1837 AD. The Temples were named Wat Wang Tawan-ok and Wat Wang Tawantok accordingly.

At Wat Wang Tawantok, some outstanding buildings exist such as the monks’ residence, which is a fine example of Thai traditional architecture. It comprises 3 buildings made of wood, built on high stilts with Pakon-Panelled partitions. Decorations are woodcarvings and fretwork in floral and geometric designs. All building is oriented on east-west axis. The middle building is open flanked by two other buildings with raised floor covered with a roof. A kitchen house, which had been moved adjacent to the main group in later period, is located to the west. At present there is a concrete deck connecting the kitchen and the main group of buildings

The building was relocated to the northeastern of the original area order to gain more open space and improve the overall atmosphere. Restoration was carried out by the Fine Arts Department and was completed in 1991.