อาคารโรงรถจักรแก่งคอย

อาคารโรงรถจักรแก่งคอย

ที่ตั้ง ย่านสถานีรถไฟแก่งคอย ตำบลแก่งคอย อำเภอแก่งคอย จังหวัดสระบุรี

สถาปนิก/ผู้ออกแบบ ผู้ออกแบบ นายปิ่น

ผู้ออกแบบส่วนต่อเติม นายชลิต ศิริภาคย์

ผู้ครอบครอง การรถไฟแห่งประเทศไทย

ปีที่สร้าง พ.ศ. 2485

ประวัติ

อาคารโรงรถจักรแก่งคอย ได้รับการออกแบบโดยนายปิ่น สร้างขึ้นในปี พ.ศ. 2485 และเปิดใช้งานในปี พ.ศ. 2486 เพื่อทดแทนอาคารโรงรถจักรเดิมที่มีขนาดเล็กและไม่สามารถรองรับการซ่อมบำรุงรถจักรไอน้ำที่มีจำนวนมากขึ้น นอกจากเป็นสถานที่สำหรับซ่อมบำรุงรถจักรไอน้ำแล้ว อาคารโรงรถจักรแก่งคอยยังเป็นสถานที่เก็บเครื่องจักรและอุปกรณ์ต่างๆ ที่ขนย้ายมาจากโรงงานมักกะสันในระหว่างสงครามโลกครั้งที่ 2 อีกด้วย ถือเป็นโรงรถจักรที่ใหญ่ที่สุดในพื้นที่นอกเขตกรุงเทพมหานคร หลังจากที่อาคารโรงรถจักรแก่งคอยถูกเปิดใช้ได้ไม่กี่เดือน ฝ่ายสัมพันธมิตรได้พยายามทิ้งระเบิดที่ย่านสถานีรถไฟแก่งคอยและโรงรถจักรแห่งใหม่นี้ เนื่องจากเป็นที่ตั้งของกองทหารญี่ปุ่นและเป็นจุดยุทธศาสตร์ที่เห็นได้ชัดเจน แต่กลับพลาดเป้าหมายทำให้ลูกระเบิดตกใส่ตลาดแก่งคอยและบ้านเรือนราษฎรทำให้มีผู้เสียชีวิตเป็นจำนวนมาก นอกจากนี้สะเก็ดระเบิดยังทำให้หลังคาบางส่วนของโรงรถจักรเสียหาย และยังมีเศษสะเก็ดระเบิดที่ยังคงฝังอยู่ในเนื้อไม้ของเสาต้นหนึ่งในโรงรถจักรโดยไม่มีการดัดแปลงหรือปรับปรุงใหม่แต่อย่างใด ต่อมาในปี พ.ศ. 2495 ได้มีการต่อเติมโรงรถจักรทางด้านทิศตะวันออกเฉียงใต้เพื่อใช้เป็นส่วนของโรงงาน ออกแบบโดยนายชลิต ศิริภาคย์ ปัจจุบันใช้เป็นห้องเครื่องมือกล หลังจากนั้นโรงรถจักรได้เป็นสถานที่ซ่อมบำรุงรถจักรไอน้ำเรื่อยมาจนถึงปี พ.ศ. 2512 ที่มีการซ่อมรถจักรไอน้ำครั้งสุดท้าย ก่อนที่จะเปลี่ยนมาเป็นสถานที่ซ่อมบำรุงรถจักรดีเซล ปัจจุบันโรงรถจักรแก่งคอยเป็นสถานที่ซ่อมหัวรถจักรที่ใช้ลากจูงขบวนสินค้าต่างๆ เช่น น้ำมัน แป้ง น้ำตาล ข้าว และปูนซีเมนต์ เป็นต้น รวมทั้งซ่อมบำรุงรถพ่วงต่างๆ ได้แก่ รถพ่วงบรรทุกแก๊ส รถพ่วงบรรทุกน้ำมัน และรถพ่วงสำหรับบรรทุกตู้คอนเทนเนอร์

อาคารโรงรถจักรแก่งคอย เป็นอาคารไม้ชั้นเดียว ผังพื้นอาคารเป็นรูปสี่เหลี่ยมผืนผ้า แกนอาคารทางยาวอยู่ในแนวตะวันออกเฉียงเหนือ – ตะวันตกเฉียงใต้ พื้นที่ใช้สอยภายในอาคารโรงรถจักรแบ่งออกเป็น 3 ส่วน คือ ส่วนโถงกลาง ส่วนสำนักงาน และส่วนห้องมือกล สำหรับโถงกลางกว้าง 38.25 เมตร ยาว 55 เมตร ด้านสกัดเป็นโครงสร้างเสาคานไม้ต่อเนื่องกัน7 ช่วง หลังคาของแต่ละช่วงเป็นทรงเพิงมีกระจกปิดตายยาวตลอดแนวอาคารทางด้านตะวันตกเฉียงเหนือเพื่อให้มีแสงสว่างเพียงพอต่อการทำงานภายในอาคาร ระหว่างแต่ละช่วงเสามีการวางรางไปตามความยาวอาคารจำนวน 7 แนวราง บริเวณใต้รางแต่ละรางขุดลึกลงไปเป็นคูคอนกรีตสำหรับช่างซ่อมใต้ท้องรถได้ และมีบ่อถ่ายล้อเชื่อมต่อระหว่างรางที่ 2 และรางที่ 3 นอกจากนี้บริเวณมุมโถงกลางด้านทิศตะวันออกเฉียงเหนือมีห้องน้ำที่สร้างขึ้นมาภายหลังเพื่อทดแทนห้องน้ำเดิมที่อยู่ภายในส่วนสำนักงาน ซึ่งได้เปลี่ยนเป็นห้องทำงานหน่วยซ่อมรถจักรและรถพ่วง ส่วนต่อมาคือส่วนสำนักงานซึ่งวางขนานไปกับโถงกลางทางด้าน ทิศตะวันตกเฉียงเหนือ กว้าง 4.50 เมตร ยาว 48.50 เมตร ประกอบด้วยห้องที่ทำการสารวัตรเวรกลางคืน ห้องทำงานหน่วย ซ่อมรถจักรและรถพ่วง ห้องเก็บพัสดุ ห้องที่ทำการด้านการจัดการพนักงานรถจักร ห้องทำงานสารวัตรรถพ่วงแก่งคอย และห้องเจ้าหน้าที่ธุรการ และส่วนสุดท้ายเป็นห้องเครื่องมือกลตั้งอยู่ทางทิศตะวันออกเฉียงใต้ของอาคาร กว้าง 4.50เมตร ยาว 15 เมตร ผนังของสำหรับส่วนสำนักงาน

ส่วนห้องมือกลและบางส่วนของโถงกลาง เป็นผนังไม้ตีเกล็ดตามนอนซึ่งตั้งอยู่บนผนังก่ออิฐฉาบปูนสูงจากพื้น 90 เซนติเมตร หลังคาส่วนสำนักงาน ส่วนห้องมือกลเป็นหลังคาทรงเพิงมุงด้วยกระเบื้องลอนคู่ ประตูและหน้าต่างของโรงรถจักรเป็นไม้ ปัจจุบันมีบางส่วนเปลี่ยนเป็นกระจกกรอบอลูมิเนียมที่ส่วนสำนักงาน

อาคารโรงรถจักรแก่งคอย เป็นสิ่งก่อสร้างที่มีเอกลักษณ์โดดเด่นเนื่องจากได้รับการออกแบบที่สอดคล้องกับการใช้สอยและสภาพเศรษฐกิจในช่วงสงครามโลกครั้งที่ 2 เป็นอาคารโรงจักรไม้ขนาดใหญ่ของการรถไฟแห่งประเทศไทยที่มีโครงสร้างสมบูรณ์และยังคงใช้งานอยู่ โดยตลอดระยะเวลาที่ผ่านมา การรถไฟแห่งประเทศไทยได้ดูแลรักษาอาคารให้อยู่ในสภาพที่ดี และยังคงบทบาทสำคัญในการซ่อมบำรุงรถจักรและรถพ่วง

Kaeng Khoi Locomotive Depot

Location Kaeng Khoi Train Station, Kaeng Khoi, Saraburi

Architect/ designer Designer: Pin

                                       Designer of the annex: Chalit Siripak

Owner The State Railway of Thailand

Year Built 1942

History

Kaeng Khoi Locomotive Depot, designed by Nai Pin, built in 1942 and opened for service in 1942 to replace the old locomotive workshop that was too small and was unable to support the increasing numbers of the locomotives needed maintenance. Kaeng Khoi Locomotive Depot was not only a repair workshop but was also used to store machinery and tools moved here from Makkasan Factory during the Second World War. It is by far the largest locomotive workshop outside of Bangkok. Several months after Kaeng Khoi Locomotive Depot was in service, the Allied troops were trying to explode Kaeng Khoi junction and this new locomotive workshop as it was, at the time, occupied by the Japanese troops. Plan to explode the junction failed and the explosives destroyed a nearby Kaeng Khoi market and people houses instead and killed many. Debris from the explosives caused damage to parts of the workshop roof. There is also debris that still is embedded in the wood of one of the posts in the workshop that has never undergone any repair or renovation. In 1952, an annex was added to the locomotive workshop on the southeast to be a factory. The annex was designed by Chalit Siripak, it is currently used to store machine tools. The workshop has been used to repair the steam locomotives until 1969 when the last service on steam locomotives took place before it was converted into repair workshop for diesel locomotives.

Today, Kaeng Khoi Locomotive Depot became a repair shop for locomotives used in towing commercial trains such as oil, powder, rice and cement. It is also used as a repair workshop for trailers including gas trailer, oil trailer and containers trailers. Kaeng Khoi Locomotive Depot is a single-story, rectangular wood structure, an elongated building with a northeast-southwest axis. The area inside the workshop is divided into 3 sections including the main hall, office and machine tools room. The main hall is of 38.25 meter wide and 55 meter long. Align of 7 wood beams divided the structure into 7 sections. Projecting roof on each section with solid glass top along the length of the northwest side of the building allows enough light coming through during the day. Between each pillar are train tracks that were placed along the length of the buildings, with the total of 7 guide rails. The area under the rails was dug deep down and was made into concrete ditch for the service technician to be able to work on the underside of the vehicle. A wheel exchange well connecting the second and the third tracks. In addition, the northeastern corner of the main hall are bathrooms that were added later to replace the old bathrooms in the office that got converted into locomotive and trailer repair shop. Another section is the Office which was built parallel to northwest side of the main hall, 4.50 meters wide and 48.50 meters long, this office section consists of the office of the Night Shift Superintendent, locomotive and trailer repair shops, storage, office of the Staff Management Department, office of Kaeng Khoi Trailer Superintendent and office of the administrative staff. The last section is a machine tools room which is located on the southeastern side of the building, 4.50 meter wide and 15 meter long. The office wall, machine tools wall and part of the wall in the main hall are horizontal wood panel overlaid on brick masonry walls of 90 centimeters tall. The roof of the Office and machine tools room section is a projecting roof with roman tiles. Doors and windows of the workshop are wood while some of the old doors in the office area were replaced with glass door with aluminum frame.Kaeng Khoi Locomotive Depot is a very outstanding building and was designed in accordance to functional needs and economic conditions during the Second World War period. It is a large wood building of the State Railway of Thailand with complete structure and still in use. Throughout the years, the State Railway of Thailand has been maintaining the building to keep it in good condition and to still play an important role in servicing the locomotives and trailers.