กลุ่มอาคารเก่าโรงเรียนปรินส์รอยแยลส์วิทยาลัย

กลุ่มอาคารเก่าโรงเรียนปรินส์รอยแยลส์วิทยาลัย

ที่ตั้ง เลขที่ 117 ถนนแก้วนวรัฐ ตำบลวัดเกต อำเภอเมือง จังหวัดเชียงใหม่

สถาปนิก / ผู้ออกแบบ มีผู้ออกแบบหลายท่าน

ผู้ครอบครอง โรงเรียนปรินส์รอยแยลส์วิทยาลัย

ปีที่สร้าง ตั้งแต่ พ.ศ. 2448 – 2491

ปีที่ได้รับรางวัล พ.ศ. 2549

ประวัติ

โรงเรียนปรินส์รอยแยลส์วิทยาลัย เริ่มจากเป็นโรงเรียนชายวังสิงห์คำ ซึ่งเป็นโรงเรียนชายแห่งแรกในเชียงใหม่ ก่อตั้งโดย ดร.เดวิด กอร์ม เลย์ คอลลินส์ มิชชันนารีคณะอเมริกันเพรสไบทีเรียน หลังจากนั้น ดร. วิลเลียม แฮรีส ได้มารับตำแหน่งครูใหญ่ต่อในปี พ.ศ. 2442 ซึ่งพ่อครู ดร.วิลเลียมและแม่ครูคอร์นีเลีย แฮรีส ภรรยา เห็นว่าโรงเรียนเดิมคับแคบจึงได้เรี่ยไรเงินเพื่อซื้อที่ดินและก่อสร้างโรงเรียนใหม่ขึ้นในช่วงปี พ.ศ. 2447 – 2448 รวมทั้งก่อสร้างบ้านแฮรีสเป็นอาคารหลังแรกของโรงเรียนขึ้น และเคยใช้เป็นสถานที่รับเสด็จสมเด็จเจ้าฟ้ามหาวชิราวุธ สยามมกุฎราชกุมารในคราวเสด็จประพาสมณฑลพายัพ และทรงวางศิลาฤกษ์ตึกเรียนบัทเลอร์เมื่อวันที่ 2 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2448 โอกาสนั้นได้พระราชทานนามแก่โรงเรียนว่า โรงเรียนปรินส์รอยแยลส์วิทยาลัย ในปี พ.ศ. 2539บ้านแฮรีส และโบสถ์ ได้รับรางวัลอนุรักษ์ศิลปสถาปัตยกรรมดีเด่น สมาคมสถาปนิกสยาม ในพระบรมราชูปถัมภ์ ปัจจุบันภายในบริเวณโรงเรียนยังมีอาคารเก่าแก่ที่ได้รับการอนุรักษ์ไว้เป็นอย่างดี ได้แก่

บ้านพักมิชชันนารี ก่อสร้างในปี พ.ศ. 2440 ออกแบบโดยสถาปนิกชาวอเมริกัน ไม่ทราบชื่อ รูปแบบสถาปัตยกรรมเป็นอาคารไม้ 2 ชั้น แบบโคโลเนียล มีระเบียงโดยรอบทั้งชั้นล่างและชั้นบน เดิมใช้เป็นที่พักของมิชชันนารีที่เข้ามาสอนที่โรงเรียน

อาคารเคนเนดี ก่อสร้างในปี พ.ศ. 2453 ออกแบบโดยพ่อครูเรียด (Rev. Reid) รูปแบบสถาปัตยกรรมโคโลเนียลเป็นอาคาร 2 ชั้น มีโถงบันไดอยู่กลาง มีห้องขนาดใหญ่ทางปีกทั้ง 2 ข้าง ทั้งชั้นบนและชั้นล่าง โครงสร้างผนังรับน้ำหนัก พื้นไม้ อาคารนี้ก่อสร้างขึ้นเพื่อเป็นหอพักนักเรียนประจำของโรงเรียน โดยได้รับทุนบริจาคจากตระกูลเคนเนดี ปัจจุบันปรับปรุงเป็นอาคารเรียน และที่ทำการครูระดับประถมศึกษา

อาคารเนลสัน เฮส์ สร้างขึ้นในปี พ.ศ. 2463 เป็นอาคารอนุสรณ์แห่งความรักของนายแพทย์โทมัส เฮย์วาร์ด เฮส์ ซึ่งได้บริจาคเงินก่อสร้างขึ้นเป็นที่ระลึกถึงนางเจนนี เนลสัน เฮส์ ภรรยาของท่านที่ถึงแก่กรรม โดยใช้เป็นตึกวิทยาศาสตร์ รูปแบบอาคารมี 2 ชั้น เสาก่ออิฐมีระเบียงโดยรอบทั้งชั้นล่างและชั้นบน พื้นอาคารเป็นไม้ ปัจจุบันใช้เป็นอาคารเรียนระดับประถมศึกษา

อาคารเพาเวอร์ส ฮอลล์ ก่อสร้างขึ้นในปี พ.ศ. 2471 โดยมีผู้บริจาครายใหญ่ คือ นายโทมัส แฮรีส เพาเวอร์ส สมเด็จพระนางเจ้าสว่างวัฒนาทรงพระกรุณาเสด็จมาเป็นองค์ประธานในพิธีเปิดอาคาร เมื่อวันที่ 5 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2471 เป็นอาคารคอนกรีตเสริมเหล็กชั้นเดียว หลังคาจั่วผสมปั้นหยา พื้นและเพดานเป็นไม้ โครงสร้างเพดานเป็นโครงแข็งทำด้วยไม้ ไม่มีเสากลาง ทำให้มีพื้นที่ภายในกว้างขวาง เหมาะสมต่อการใช้สอยเป็นห้องสมุด

อาคารโรงละคร ก่อสร้างในปี พ.ศ. 2472 – 2473 ออกแบบโดยนายแวน แอลเล็น แฮรีส เป็นอาคารชั้นเดียว รูปแบบ โคโลเนียล โครงสร้างผนังรับน้ำหนัก หลังคาจั่วโครงไม้ ก่อสร้างขึ้นจากทุนบริจาคของเพื่อนร่วมชั้นของพ่อครูแฮรีส ที่มหาวิทยาลัยปรินสตัน มลรัฐนิวเจอร์ซี สหรัฐอเมริกา

อาคารบัทเลอร์ เป็นอาคารที่ก่อสร้างขึ้นในปี พ.ศ.2491 แทนอาคารบัทเลอร์หลังเดิม เริ่มการสร้างโดยพ่อครู ดร.เคนเนท อี. แวลส์ อาคารนี้เป็นอาคาร 2 ชั้น หลังคามะนิลา มีระเบียงด้านหน้า พื้นไม้ ปัจจุบันใช้เป็นอาคารเรียนชั้นมัธยมศึกษาตอนต้น

อาคารแฮรีส ก่อสร้างขึ้นในปี พ.ศ. 2491 ได้รับการตั้งชื่อว่าอาคารแฮรีสเพื่อเป็นเกียรติประวัติแด่พ่อครู ดร.วิลเลียม แฮรีส ผู้อุทิศชีวิตตลอดระยะเวลา 46 ปี บุกเบิกและก่อสร้างโรงเรียนปรินส์รอยแยลส์วิทยาลัยขึ้น อาคารนี้เป็นอาคาร 2 ชั้น หลังคามะนิลามีระเบียงด้านหน้า ปัจจุบันใช้เป็นอาคารเรียนชั้นมัธยมศึกษาตอนต้น

Prince Royal’s College

Location 117 Kaeo Nawarat Road, Tambon Wat Ket, Amphoe Mueang, Chiang Mai Province

Architect / Designer Several architects

Proprietor Prince Royal’s College

Date of Construction 1905 – 1948

Conservation Awarded 2006

History

The Prince Royal’s College was originated from Wang Sing Kham Male School, the first men’s school in Chiang Mai founded by Dr. David Gorm Lay Collins, a missionary of the American Presbyterian. Dr. William Harris succeeded him as the principal in 1899. He and his wife, Mrs. Cornelia Harris, seeing the need for a larger area for the school, solicited contributions for buying the land and building a new school during 1904 – 1905, thus the Harris House, the first building, was constructed.

Ban Harris, or Harris House, was used for receiving HRH Crown Prince Vajiravudh during his visit to Monthon Phayap (Northern Administrative Unit) when he presided over the Official Foundation Stone Laying of Butler Building, the first classroom building on January 2nd, 1905. On the occasion, the Prince renamed the school “Prince Royal’s College” . In 1996, Harris House and the Church have received an Architectural Conservation Award given by the Association of Siamese Architects under Royal Patronage

There are several old buildings in the school which have been well conserved namely:

Missionary House Built in 1897, designed by an American architect whose name was not recorded. The house, a 2- storey Colonial building featuring verandahs on both floors, used to be a residence of missionaries who taught at the school.

Kennedy Hall Built in 1910, designed by Rev. Reid in Colonial style. The building is 2-stories high, with acentral staircase hall and large rooms on both wings. The structure is a wall-bearing with wooden floors. The building was built as a dormitory for students by contributions from the Kennedy family. At present, Kennedy Hall has been renovated and used as a lecture hall and office of elementary teachers.

Neilson Hays Building Designed by an American architect and built in 1920. The building is a memorial of love of Dr. Thomas Hayward Hays who contributed for building construction in memory of his deceased wife, Mrs. Jenny Neilson Hays. Originally used as a science building, it is quoted as the first pre-medical school of the North. The building is 2-storey structure with brick columns, verandahs, wooden floors, and functions as an elementary classroom building.

Powers Hall Built in 1928 by contributions of Mr. Thomas Harris Powers, hence the name “Powers Hall”. Upon completion, Queen Sawangwatthana, a consort of King Rama V presided over the Official Opening on 5thJanuary, 1928. The hall is single-storey, reinforced concrete building, hipped roof with gables at both ridge ends, wooden floors and ceilings. Its distinguished characteristics is the structural system which applies timber rigid frames to cover long span, making the interior spacious and open, suitable for its function as a library.

Auditorium Built during 1929 – 1930, designed by Mr. Van Ellen Harris. It is a single-storey Colonial architectureof wall-bearing structure, gable roof with wooden structure. The construction was contributed by Dr. Harris’s classmates in Princeton University, New Jersey, United States.

Butler Building Built in 1948 to replace the original Butler Building, initiated by Dr. Kenneth E. Wells, who took the position of principal administration and property to Prince Royal’s College. The building is 2-storey, Manila roof (hipped roof with gables at both ridge ends), with a front verandahs and wooden floors. At present, the building is used as a classroom building for lower secondary levels.

Harris Building Simultaneously built in 1948. The building was named “Harris Building” to honor Dr. William Harris who dedicated 46 years of his life in pioneering and founding the Prince Royal’s College. The building is a 2-storey, Manila roof (hipped roof with gables at both ridge ends) with front verandahs. At present, the building houses lower secondary school classrooms.