สถานเสาวภา

สถานเสาวภา

ที่ตั้ง 1871 ถนนพระรามที่ 4 แขวงลุมพินี เขตปทุมวัน กรุงเทพฯ

สถาปนิก/ผู้ออกแบบ -

ผู้ครอบครอง สภากาชาด

ปีที่สร้าง พ.ศ. 2463 - 2465

ปีที่ได้รับรางวัล พ.ศ. 2530

ประวัติ

สถานเสวาภา ก่อตั้งขึ้นตามพระราชดำริของพระบาทสมเด็จพระมงกุฎเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว เพื่อเฉลิมพระเกียรติสมเด็จพระศรีพัชรินทราบรมราชินีนาถ พระบรมราชชนนีพันปีหลวง เมื่อวันที่ 24 พฤษภาคม 2463 โดยพระบาทสมเด็จพระมงกุฎเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัวทรงตั้งพระราชหฤทัยจะให้เป็นสถานที่สาธารณประโยชน์ที่ยั่งยืน คู่กับโรงพยาบาลจุฬาลงกรณ์ อันเป็นสถานที่เฉลิมพระเกียรติสมเด็จพระบรมชนกนาถ จึงทรงพระราชทานที่ดินพระคลังข้างที่มุมถนนสนามม้า (ถนนอังรีดูนังต์ในปัจจุบัน) บรรจบกับถนนพระรามที่ 4 เพื่อก่อสร้างอาคารขึ้น และพระราชทานนามว่า “สถานเสาวภา” ตามพระนามาภิไธยของสมเด็จพระบรมราชชนนี สถานเสาวภามีรูปแบบสถาปัตยกรรมแบบนีโอคลาสิคหลังคาปั้นหยา มีจุดเด่นที่มุขทางเข้าโค้งครึงวงกลมสูงประมาณ 2 ชั้น ขนาบข้างด้วยหอสี่เหลี่ยม ผนังเซาะร่องเลียนแบบการก่อหินซึ่งได้รับแรงบัลดาลใจจากประตูชัยแบบโรมัน เมื่อแรกสร้างใช้เป็นที่ทำการแห่งใหม่ของสถานปาสเตอร์ ต่อมาเป็นที่ทำการของสภากาชาดไทย ซึ่งมีบริการผลิตวัคซีนและฉีดวัคซีนป้องกันโรคต่างๆ ภายในบริเวณมีสถานที่น่าสนใจ ได้แก่สวนงู ซึ่งเลี้ยงงูพิษพันธุ์ต่างๆไว้เพื่อใช้ในการทำเซรุ่มรักษาผู้ถูกงูพิษกัด สวนงูนี้จัดตั้งขึ้นในปี พ.ศ.2466 โดย ดร.เลโอโปลด์ โรแบรต์ (Dr. Leopold Robert) ผู้อำนวยการคนแรกของสถานเสาวภา เป็นสวนงูที่เก่าแก่อันดับ 2 ของโลกรองจากสวนงูในบราซิล

Queen Saovabha Memorial Institue

Location 1871 Rama IV Road, Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok

Architect/Designer Unknown

Proprietor Thai Red Cross Society

Date of Construction 1920-1922 AD.

Conservation Awarded 1987 AD.

History

Queen Saovsbha Memorial Institute was founded on 24th May 1920 by order of King Rama VI to commemorate the late Queen Si Patcharinthra, his mother in the manner that the Chulalongkorn Hospital was established as a memorial of King Rama V, his father. Thus its location is opposite to Chulalongkorn Hospital, and name “Sathan Saovabha” derived from “Princess Saovabha Phongsri”, the original name of Queen. The building is Neo-classical style, hipped roof. Distinguished feature is the entrance which comprises a large round arch flanked by two towers with rusticated walls inspired by the Roman triumphal arch. At first, it served as a new office for the Pastuer Institute which became the Thai Red Cross Society. The Institute specializes in production of vaccines and vaccination. There is also a snake farm in the compound that breeds poisonous snaked for vaccine preparation founded since 1923 by Dr. Leopold Robert, the first director. It is the world second oldest snake farm after the first one in Brazil.